Although the Library/LRC buildings are now closed (due to the COVID-19 pandemic), access to library resources remains available:
Current Miramar College students, faculty, and staff have 24/7 online access to the library's streaming video resources, online research databases, and ebook collections that are searchable through the OneSearch platform. Personalized reference assistance and research support is also still available from the Miramar Faculty Librarian team. Please see the Research Help Options table (below) for an overview of the various reference services you can access during this closure period.
Research Help Options
Miramar's Reference Librarians are here to help you. They can assist you in finding specific answers to your questions, guide you in effective research and database search strategies, or help you find materials that you can view online.
Help by Phone
|Help by Email||
|Online Research Guides|
|Chat Reference Service from National Network||
Library Reference Desk Services
[PLEASE NOTE: We regret that our popular in-person reference desk service will be unavailable during the COVID-19 campus closure period. We look forward to reinstating this service once the campus can reopen.]
In-Person Research Help (Temporarily unavailable)
We invite you to come to the library and meet with a reference librarian in person for assistance with your research projects or information needs. The Reference Desk is located to your left as you enter the library. If you have a question about an instructor's assignment, please bring us your syllabus or a handout detailing the assignment.
Telephone Research Help
[PLEASE NOTE: We are currently investigating and pilot testing new phone setups that will allow us to continue offering real-time, voice-to-voice research help by phone—even while the campus remains closed. Updates on telephone reference assistance options will be posted in the RESEARCH HELP OPTIONS table above. See also the email help options.]
Assistance by telephone is available during the library's business hours.
Call (619) 388-7310 to be transferred to a reference librarian.
Online Chat Reference—from National Network of Libraries
Research help may also be available from an online chat reference service that is staffed by a national network of partner libraries—located throughout California, the U.S., and worldwide. Be sure to review the chat reference tips and guidelines before using the real-time chat widget found at the bottom of this page.
Chat Reference Tips & Guidelines
ABOUT THIS SERVICE:
- The live chat reference service (available through the widget below) employs librarians from across the nation and beyond.
- Please be patient, as the librarian is often assisting several students all at one time.
- The chat service is best for brief questions. The librarian can suggest where and how to find information, and provide quick assistance on things like:
- How to get started on your research.
- Which databases might be best for your specific topic/project requirements.
- Determining if a particular book or resource is available in the library collection.
- For extensive or in-depth research projects, the chat librarian may recommend that you contact your local Miramar College librarian team.
- The national network team strives to provide chat reference staffing 7 days a week (all day and night). However, there are unpredictable downtime periods—for example, when staffing for the network is limited, or during holiday breaks.