Miramar's Reference Librarians are here to help you. They can assist you in finding specific answers to your questions, guide you in effective research and database search strategies, or help you find materials that you can check out or view online.
In-Person Research Help
We invite you to come to the library and meet with a reference librarian in person for assistance with your research projects or information needs. The Reference Desk is located to your left as you enter the library. If you have a question about an instructor's assignment, please bring us your syllabus or a handout detailing the assignment.
Telephone Research Help
Get research help by phone from a Miramar College reference librarian. Phone service hours are as follows:
- Monday through Thursday: Call the Reference Desk (619-388-7611) between 9:00am and 6:00pm.
- Call the Research Helpline (619-324-9925) between 7:00am and 9:00am.
- Friday: Call the Reference Desk (619-388-7611) between 7:00am and 11:00am.
Help by Email
Get research help by email from a Miramar College reference librarian.
- Send in your questions by using our Research Help by Email form.
- Please be sure to include:
- Your name, college ID number, and contact information
- Your question and other helpful details—such as: assignment requirements, course/instructor information, and notes on where you have already looked for information.
- We will do our best to respond within 24 hours (Monday-Friday) if possible.
Online Chat Reference—from National Network of Libraries
Research help may also be available from an online chat reference service that is staffed by a national network of partner libraries—located throughout California, the U.S., and worldwide. Be sure to review the chat reference tips and guidelines before using the real-time chat widget found at the bottom of this page.
Chat Reference Tips & Guidelines
ABOUT THIS SERVICE:
- The live chat reference service (available through the widget below) employs librarians from across the nation and beyond.
- Please be patient, as the librarian is often assisting several students all at one time.
- The chat service is best for brief questions. The librarian can suggest where and how to find information, and provide quick assistance on things like:
- How to get started on your research.
- Which databases might be best for your specific topic/project requirements.
- Determining if a particular book or resource is available in the library collection.
- For extensive or in-depth research projects, the chat librarian may recommend that you contact your local Miramar College librarian team.
- The national network team strives to provide chat reference staffing 7 days a week (all day and night). However, there are unpredictable downtime periods—for example, when staffing for the network is limited, or during holiday breaks.
Online Research Guides
Get research help by using online Research Guides prepared for specific Miramar classes and research topics. Browse our guides: