Dreamers: AB540, AB2000, SB68


AB540, AB 2000 and SB68:

AB 540 allows eligible undocumented student to have access to in-state tuition at public colleges and universities in California. Eligibility for AB 540 was expanded upon through AB 2000 and SB 68 to include more California students to qualify for in-state tuition. 

How do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

In order to qualify under AB 540, an undocumented student must have:

  • Attended for three (3) full-time years or the equivalent at any combination of the following:
    • Attend a California high school for three (3) years or more
    • Attend (3) or more years of high school coursework, and attend a combination of California elementary, secondary, and high school of three (3) years or more
    • Attend a combination of California high school, adult school, and community college for the equivalent of three (3) years or more
  • Graduated or obtained the equivalent of a high school diploma (or attainment of the equivalent, i.e. California-issued GED, CHSPE) or community college degree, or completed the requirements for transfer to a UC or CSU
  • Submitted an AB 540 affidavit, also known as a Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request form, to the college that you plan to attend. On this affidavit, you must state that you meet all the requirements and that you have filed an application to legalize your immigration status – or that you will file an application as soon as you are eligible to do so.

Request More Info