Frequently Asked Questions about Graduation


I'm done! How do I graduate?

Congratulations! If you have confirmed with a counselor that you qualify to graduate then you can apply to graduate online. Generally, you should do this at the beginning of the semester you plan on graduating in, or the one prior. See the video below for step-by-step instructions on how to Apply to Graduate and see Evaluations for graduation deadlines. 

Graduations does not equal Commencement (the walking ceremony)! In order to participate in the ceremony you must notify the Evaluations Office by completing the online Commencement Registration.

I have a killer GPA! How do I graduate with honors?

Your honors status will automatically be noted on your degree and transcripts. Honors students will be invited to exchange tassels and receive their cords in May. The GPA will not include classes that you are currently enrolled in. If you receive honors graduate status after the current semester grades post, it will appear on your diploma, but it will not qualify in time to be noted in the Commencement Program or announced on stage. Please note, Gold Honor cords will be given to AA/AS/AA-T/AS-T degree graduate candidates only.

If your degree-applicable GPA is 3.5 or above, you will exchange your teal tassel for gold and receive a gold cord.

What if I need unique accommodations?

If you or your guest will need special accommodations, please contact the Student Affairs Office no later than the first week of May. Special seating and assistance will be available with prior notice. 619-388-7313

Do you need anything else from me?

Yes! Do we have your current contact information?

Your Degrees or Certificates will be mailed to the address on file with the college. It is very important that you update your mailing address through  mySDCCD before the end of the semester, as your diploma will be mailed directly to you at the address on file. If you need to re-order a diploma due to incorrect address you will be responsible for any fees.

Spring Degrees usually arrive in mid-late August, Summer Degrees mid-late October and Fall degrees mid-late February. Please take this into account when verifying your address. If you are moving prior to delivery make a reminder to update your address when you know your new address or be sure to put a permanent address as your mailing address.

When should I send my transcripts to my transfer institute?

Degrees and Certificates do not post on your transcript immediately after the end of the semester.

  • If you are ordering your transcripts to be sent to a transfer institute, DO NOT order your transcripts to send at the end of the semester or even after release of final grades
  •  Degree processing takes 4-8 weeks after the end of the semester
  • To track your graduation log in to mySDCCD, Click on "My Academics", then "View Graduation Status". Here you can track the progress of your degree
    • Applied - Your application has been submitted but has not been reviewed
    • In Review - There may be some extra steps required to process your degree or you may be missing units (an evaluator will post a comment for you regarding asny issues)
    • Pending - Your degree is in the queue to be processed
    • Approved for Graduation - You have been approved and the degree is flagged to be placed on your transcript.
    • Degree Awarded - Your degree is officially posted to your transcript (This is when you should order your final transcript) 
    • Diploma Printed - We have placed your order with our printing company you will receive an email once they ship your diploma. 

I am transferring, how do I send my IGETC/GE Certification?

If you are transferring with an IGETC or CSU GE Breadth certificate you will need to submit a request for official certification in addition to applying to graduate with your Certificate and/or Associate's Degree.

  • Before submitting the IGETC request make sure that you have:
    • All other college transcripts on file with our district
    • All AP Scores on file if applicable
    • Proof of your Language Other Than English (LOTE) if you did not take your language requirement within the SDCCD on file (For instance if you took a language in high school or AP credit)
    • Email to verify that these are on your record

Find and submit the Request for General Education Education Certification steps here

Does my name have to go in the program? And what about my privacy?

As a candidate for graduation, your name will be printed in the graduation program distributed on the day of graduation. Your name will also be included on other lists of graduates within the San Diego Community College District. If you do not wish for your name to be published, please notify the Evaluations Office in K1-207 (619) 388-7371 prior to the program printing deadline (refer to Evaluations for deadlines) .

Please note that graduations are public. By participating in graduation, it is possible that the media or other photographers may use graduation photographs in newspapers, other publicity print media, or other video briefs on television news.

Didn't see your question answered? Get in touch with us: or 619-388-7371