The High Tech Center offers virtual training in the use of adapted computer hardware and software as well as instruction in word processing, use of the internet, keyboarding, and preparation for online learning.
We have a variety of Assistive Technology (AT)—software and hardware tools that provide access to computers for persons with disabilities including:
- Screen reading: Natural Reader
- Text to Speech software with natural sounding voices. This easy to use software can convert any written text such as MS Word, Webpage, PDF files, and Emails into spoken words.
- Scan/read system: Kurzweil 1000
- The Kurzweil 1000 scans and reads text aloud
- Designed for blind users and individuals with low vision, it scans printed material and displays the image onscreen
- Screen magnification: ZoomText
- ZoomText Xtra Level 2 is a screen magnification program that enlarges text and graphics on the screen for individuals with low vision
- Clarity is a video magnifier that can magnify objects at close range or from a distance. Specifically, students with low vision can read, write, or view three-dimensional objects on their desktop.
- Ergonomic Keyboard
- An ergonomic keyboard is shaped to fit a more natural hand position.
- Designed to reduce strain on hands, wrists, and shoulders.
- Trackball: Kensington ExpertMouse
- A trackball, similar to a mouse, is used to control the mouse pointer and select options in the Windows environment.
- Speech recognition: Dragon NaturallySpeaking
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking is a large-vocabulary speech recognition program.
- Scan/read system: Kurzweil 3000
- The Kurzweil 3000 scans printed material and reads it aloud
- Designed for postsecondary students with reading difficulties
- Visual idea organizer: Inspiration
- Inspiration provides “visual thinking tools” to help students develop ideas and organize thinking
- Auditory feedback: TextHelp: Read & Write
- TextHelp works with any Windows-based application (Example: Microsoft Word)
- Designed for individuals with reading or writing difficulty
Notetaking Tools Available
- Digital Recorders
- Echo Livescribe Smartpen