Work Experience is a program that awards college credit for on-the-job learning experiences for students employed in a job or internship related to a career-oriented major. Many Work Experience courses are associated with certificate and degree requirements. The goals and assignments for completion of the courses are formulated with the student and their employer under the direction of the college instructor assigned to teach Work Experience. The grading system is the same as for other subjects offered by the college and the time spent for preparation and training is also comparable.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Apply critical thinking, research, analysis and resolution for work-related objectives.
- Convert classroom instruction to the employment environment through the development and attainment of three (3) learning objectives.
- Develop and apply competencies in the workplace and within course-related activities.
Are you interested in taking a
Work Experience Course?
1. Check the Class Schedule
- Go to the online class schedule
- Search for Work Experience courses
- Select Miramar under College
- Type Work Experience under Keyword
- Courses are numbered 270 ( Occupational Work Experience) or 272 (General Work Experience)
2. Get Ready for the Course
- To be eligible to obtain an ADD code/Pression Number to enroll, students must complete the following:
- Be a current SDCCD/Miramar College Student (Apply online HERE)
- Secure a job, internship, or volunteer position (Paid or Unpaid)
- Check Handshake for available jobs or internships
- Contact the Career Center for assistance
- Watch the Online Work Experience Orientation and complete the Orientation Quiz (Save quiz as file (PDF) to you computer as you will need to upload the file into the Work Experience Application)
- Completion of Online Work Experience Application
- Completion of Employer Agreement by your Site Supervisor (This is emailed to your Site Supervisor automatically once your Work Experience Application has been submitted)
- On-Campus Placements ONLY- Complete the SDCCD Volunteer Form- Only required of students working in an ON- CAMPUS department in an UNPAID position.
- CHIL 151/270 Students ONLY- Complete the Child Development Vaccination Form and provide proof of immunizations.
- CHILD DEVELOPMENT STUDENTS: Need CHIL 151 as co-requisite to CHIL 270? Students pursuing the Child Development degree must take CHIL 151 AND CHIL 270 as a combination class at the SAME INSTITUTION because the class content and field experience assignments are aligned.
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Training: The SDCCD sexual Harassment Training is no longer required in order to receive an add code to enroll in a Work Experience Course. Students will receive an email upon enrollment to self- enroll in Canvas to complete this requirement by the withdrawal deadline of the term. Learn more HERE!
3. After Enrolling into the Course
- Attend a Mandatory Work Experience Orientation with your Work Experience Instructor (in- person/remote, details provided by faculty)
- Work with your instructor and your Site Supervisor to complete the Learning Agreement.
- Check your progress with the Student Work Experience Checklist
- Make sure to complete Canvas Sexual Harassment Prevention Training by the withdrawal deadline.
4. Follow Instructions from the Work Experience Instructor to complete the course
- Check your email often
- Respond to all requests from your Work Experience instructor on a timely manner
Important Forms & Resources:
- Student Handbook: Outlines the program requirements, responsibilities, and expectations.
- Application: Initial application for participation in Work Experience courses. Completed and submitted online by student as initial step in participating in Work Experience courses and is emailed to instructor and Work Experience Coordinator
- Employer Agreement: Complete and submitted online by the Site Supervisor of the student and automatically emailed to WE instructor and WE Coordinator.
- Student Work Experience Checklist: Check your progress with this checklist to make sure all forms are submitted and on track
- Learning Agreement: Includes learning objectives and must be signed student, instructor, and worksite/supervisor. Includes three measurable job-oriented learning objectives.
- Refer to the Learning Objectives Resource Guide and Worksheet for help writing learning objectives.
- Cumulative Work Record: Utilized throughout the semester and completed by the student. Completed by the student and submitted online.
- Final Evaluation: Evaluation of the student with their worksite/supervisor and instructor to determine if objectives were met and provide feedback on work performance. To be completed by both Student AND Site Supervisor- Same link, 2 submissions
- Unpaid Work Experience Volunteer Form: Only required of students working in an ON- CAMPUS department in an UNPAID position.
- Student Work Experience Post Survey: Please complete before end of the semester.
- Site Supervisor/Employer Work Experience Survey: Optional but Highly Encouraged!
Adjunct Work Experience Coordinator:
Kyoka Hashimoto | firstname.lastname@example.org | 858-774-3038
Associate Dean, Claudia Estrada-Howell | email@example.com | 619-388-7392