Federal Aid


Deadline to apply: June 30, 2024 or your last day of classes (whichever comes first)

The Federal Pell Grant Program is the largest Federal grant program and is the foundation of your total aid "package". Eligibility is determined by the federal government using a standard formula for all applicants. Grant amounts may range from $767 to $7,395 per year. A Federal Pell Grant is awarded based on full time enrollment (12 or more units per semester). If you enroll in less than 12 units, your payment will be adjusted accordingly. Beginning July 1st, 2012 ALL Federal Pell Grant recipients are subject to Federal Pell Grant eligibility for a maximum of 12 semesters (6 years) of grant disbursed as a full-time student.

Reminder: If you have a bachelor's degree, you are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant.

Bookstore Account/Bus Pass

When you receive your Federal Pell Grant Award, an account will be available to you in the Bookstore. In addition, for a reduced price, you may purchase a bus pass from the Accounting Office. The Federal Pell Grant Bookstore Account and bus pass will be available approximately one week before and two weeks after the start of each semester. In order to use either of these options, you must be awarded a Federal Pell Grant, enrolled in at least 6 units and be a California resident.

The Federal SEOG program is designed to assist students with the lowest family contribution (EFC) by supplementing other financial aid sources. The award ranges from $100 to $4,000 per year and priority is given to students who meet the FAFSA priority application deadline of April 15th.

Reminder: If you have a bachelor's degree, you are not eligible for the Federal SEOG.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) gives you the opportunity to earn part of your financial aid by working in an assigned job, either on or off campus. The salary received is at least equal to the current minimum wage, but many FWS jobs pay more than minimum wage. As you work on the job, you submit time cards for the hours worked, just as you would at a regular job. Once a month you receive a paycheck for the hours worked the previous month. Once you have earned the amount allocated in your Federal Work-Study award, or you cease to be enrolled in 6 or more units at your Financial Aid campus, your job ends. Federal Work-Study awards may range up to $1,000 to $5,000 per year.

To learn more about this opportunity, please visit the Federal Work-Study page here

Federal Work-Study

The Chafee Grant is a federal program that is administered by the California Student Aid Commission to provide financial assistance to former Foster Youth. The applicant must be certified by the State Department of Social Services of their Foster Youth status until age 16. The grant has no citizenship requirement; however, non-citizens without a valid Social Security Number must call the CSAC for additional steps and information. The program awards a maximum of $5,000 per academic year. Renewal applicants must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) as defined by the school.

Former foster youth must complete a separate application at: https://mygrantinfo.csac.ca.gov/fosteryouthapplication 

Prior to the beginning of each semester, a portion of your Federal Pell Grant can be allocated to an account in the bookstore up to a maximum of $576, (must be a California Resident). The money in your account may be used to purchase books and supplies.

Bus Pass

You may be able to purchase a reduced-priced bus pass as your campus Accounting Office using your Federal Pell Grant funds as well during the time that the Bookstore Accounts open. Please check with the Financial Aid Office for eligibility information.

Federal Direct Loan Program

The Federal Direct Loan is a federal loan program where you borrow directly from the Federal Government. The interest rate for new loans is a fixed rate which is currently 5.50% for loans disbursed from July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024. Please check with the Financial Aid Office for the interest rates for the 2023-2024 school year. New Federal regulations require schools to disburse loans only after the signed Promissory Note has been accepted. You are required to pay the Dept. of Education loan processing fees that are currently 1.057%. The fees are deducted from the proceeds of your loan.
For new loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014, the federal government will no longer subsidize (pay) the student loan interest during the six month grace period. The grace period is the time between when the student graduates or drops below half-time status and the time when the student must start repaying the loan. Students are encouraged to check with their Loan Servicer for any available options to assist with their loan repayment.
To qualify, a student must be enrolled in at least six units, demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients and must demonstrate financial need through the federal methodology using the FAFSA application. To apply for a Federal Direct Loan, students must complete a mandatory loan entrance counseling session. Students must contact the Financial Aid Office or visit the College website for application procedures.
You may complete the entrance counseling session on-line at: https://studentaid.gov/entrance-counseling/?execution=e1s1

The Financial Aid Office will be notified when the session has successfully been completed. In addition, you must fill out a Loan Request Form from your Financial Aid Office. You must complete an on-line multi-year Master Promissory Note at: https://studentaid.gov/mpn/
You may also be required to submit an Educational Plan and be enrolled at the campus of your declared major. Please ask your Financial Aid Office for more information. The actual loan amount for which you are eligible will be determined by the Financial Aid Office. Funds will be disbursed twice per loan period.
If you are a first-time student or borrower, your check will not be disbursed until at least 30 days after the start of the semester. If you have “Late Start” classes, for loan funds to be disbursed, you must be actively attending classes in at least six units.

The PLUS Loan
If you are a dependent undergraduate student, your parents may borrow from the PLUS loan program. The amount borrowed may be up to the Cost of Education minus any financial aid. Checks will be mailed to the borrowing parent. Parents must begin repayment within 60 days of receiving the full disbursement of the loan. The interest rate is a variable rate determined on June 1 for the following award year. The student must file a FAFSA and meet all other financial aid eligibility requirements, including an online application here: https://studentaid.gov/plus-app/. Please contact your campus Financial Aid office or web page for detailed instructions.

Other Types of Loans
See our Other Resources page for more information.