Healthy Web Resources

How do I know if someone needs help?

Being a good friend means being there when someone is going through a rough time. College is stressful on many levels, and some students have difficulty coping or may be dealing with issues like depression or anxiety disorder that require treatment.

If a friend is struggling emotionally, they might isolate themselves, act differently, or start drinking or doing drugs a lot. While starting discussions about these things isn’t easy, it’s important. Unresolved emotional issues can lead to everything from self-destructive behaviors to suicidal thoughts. Below, are a few signs your friend may need help.

Warning Signs

• Excessive worrying or anxiety
• Severe mood swings
• Inability to cope with everyday life 
• Procrastinating more than usual
• Sleeping too much or too little
• Missing classes or assignments
• Feelings of guilt, hopelessness or worthlessness
• Thoughts of suicide or death
• Changes in appetite or weight
• Binge drinking
• Drug use
• Neglecting hygiene or self-care 
• Risky sexual behavior
• Loss of interest in activities they used to enjoy
• Isolating themselves from others 
• Physical symptoms such as headaches or stomach pain

Where do I turn?

We welcome you to stop into Student Health Services and ask to see a nurse or mental health provider.

What can I do regarding concerns about abusive relationships?

If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence or intimate partner violence, contact the following resources:

National Domestic Violence Hotline 24/7 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence

Center for Community Solutions 1-888-385-4657

Additional web resources: