Dream Act/AB540

State Aid Programs for Dreamers

California Student Aid Commission - COVID-19 FAQ

SB 68/AB 540 Attendance Worksheet

This worksheet allows students to keep track of their attendance and degree requirements in one central location and monitor their progress--whether they are in high school, adult school, or community college classes. Click on the worksheet - SB 68/AB 540 Attendance Worksheet

California Dream Act

Assembly Bills 130 & 131, known as the California DREAM Act of 2011, are laws that increase access to financial aid for undocumented students who attend a public university, community college or private college in California. The DREAM act allows undocumented students to receive scholarships administered by public institutions (AB-130) and state funded grants including Cal Grants, California College Promise Grant (AB-131). To qualify, students must meet the requirements for AB 540 and not be eligible to apply for the FAFSA.

  • A student may qualify for exemption from nonresident tuition
  • Attended a California high school for at least three years, or
  • Attainment of credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to 3 or more years of full-time high school coursework and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or High school in California for a total of 3 or more years.
  • Graduated from a California high school, and receive a GED or passed the California High proficiency exam.
  • Must register or is currently enrolled at an accredited institution of higher education in California
  • Must not hold a valid non-immigrant Visa (F,J,H,L, etc.)
  • Must file or will file an affidavit as required by the college.

**If you have a Temporary Protected Status or hold a U Visa you may be eligible for the California Dream Act

California College Promise Grant

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) waives the Enrollment Fee.   In order to qualify for the California College Promise Grant, students must:

  • Complete a financial aid application – California Dream Act application at https://dream.csac.ca.gov/ 
  • Be considered a California resident or meet certain exceptions*
  • Demonstrate financial need as determined by the financial aid application 
  • Complete all pending financial aid requirements (if applicable)
  • Maintain Academic and Progress Standards

How can I qualify for AB 540 status at San Diego Community College District?

  • Complete an Admissions Application for admission to Miramar College.
  • Submit a completed California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request form (AB 540 affidavit) to your campus. 
  • If you have any questions, please contact the Admissions Office at San Diego Miramar College Admissions Office: (619) 388-7844

How do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

In order to qualify under AB 540, an undocumented student must have:

  • Attended for three (3) full-time years or the equivalent at any combination of the following:
  • Attend a California high school for three (3) years or more
  • Attend (3) or more years of high school coursework, and attend a combination of California elementary, secondary, and high school of three (3) years or more
  • Attend a combination of California high school, adult school, and community college for the equivalent of three (3) years or more
  • Graduated or obtained the equivalent of a high school diploma (or attainment of the equivalent, i.e. California-issued GED, CHSPE) or community college degree, or completed the requirements for transfer to a UC or CSU
  • Submitted an AB 540 affidavit, also known as a Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request form, to the college that you plan to attend. On this affidavit, you must state that you meet all the requirements and that you have filed an application to legalize your immigration status – or that you will file an application as soon as you are eligible to do so.

California Dream Act serviec Incentive Program

The California Dream Act Service Incentive Grant Program (DSIG) encourages California Dream Act Applicant (CADAA) Students with a Cal Grant A award that met Cal Grant B award to perform community or volunteer services. The California Aid Commission (CSAC) will award up to $4,500 per academic year (up to $2,250 per semester or up to $1,500 per quarter) to 1,667 eligible students. The grant will be available to the student for up to 8 semesters or up to 12 quarters while they have an active Cal Grant A or B award. Students must also meet Satisfactory Academic Progress and complete any necessary verification for their Cal Grant award.

DSIG Student Flyer

Cal Grant

The Cal Grant is for undergraduate students who have not yet completed a baccalaureate or professional degree. In order to qualify for Cal Grant, students must:

Cal Grant A

This program, administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), helps low and middle income students with tuition/fee costs. Cal Grant A funds are not available until you transfer to a four year college.

New Cal Grant Applicants must have their GPA sent to CSAC by the March 2, 2019 deadline.

Cal Grant B

This program, administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), helps low income students attend college. You must be a California resident as of March 2, 2018. If you are transferring to a 4-year institution you may be considered for a special Cal Grant B. Grant amounts may be as much as $1670 per year. Award amounts may be adjusted by the California State Legislature.

New Cal Grant applicants must have their GPA sent to CSAC by the March 2, 2019 deadline.

Cal Grant C

This Cal Grant award is for community college students enrolled in an occupational/technical program or certificate program. Recipients of a Cal Grant C award may receive up to $1,094 for books/school supplies for the school year. 

The California Student Aid Commissions (CSAC) will determine which grant(s) you qualify for after you apply. They determine this based on the information you provide on your FAFSA and/or CA Dream Act application. To apply for a Cal Grant, you must complete the  FAFSA or a CA Dream Act application and have a Grade Point Average Verification form sent to the CSAC by March 2nd for the upcoming academic school year. To learn more about the qualifications and different Cal Grants, visit the CSAC website. Students may access their Cal Grant information online anytime at WebGrants4Students. For more information on Cal Grant qualifications, how to apply, GPA verification and more visit, Cal Grant Frequently Asked Questions. 

The Cal Grant Program is not available to students accepted into the Comprehensive Transitional Program C2C.

Students With Dependents (SWD)

Students with dependent children who are under 18 years of age by July 1st of the award year and for whom the student will provide more than half of their support between July 1st and June 30th of the award year may be eligible for the following:

Cal Grant Access awards up to $6,000 & $6,024 for qualifying Cal Grant A and B recipients and up to $4,000 for eligible Cal Grant C recipients.

Student Success Completion Grant

The Student Success Completion Grant is a financial aid program for Cal Grant B and Cal Grant C recipients attending a California community college full-time.  The program is designed to encourage students to maintain full-time status and complete their academic program within the standard allotted time frame (e.g., 2 years for an Associate’s Degree, 4 years for a Bachelor’s Degree, and 1-1.5 years for a certificate program).  On top of the $1,672 annual Cal Grant B and $1,094 annual Cal Grant C awards paid at community colleges, the Student Success Completion Grant pays full-time Cal Grant B or C recipients up to $4,000 annually. 

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth

The California Chafee Grant is free money for current or former California foster youth to help pay for college or career and technical training. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also use your grant to pay for child care, rent and transportation while you’re in school. A Chafee Grant is a federal and state funded grant subject to yearly availability of funds.


There are also scholarship opportunities available for Dreamer Students. Please refer to the Scholarship web page.