The Automotive Technology program provides both classroom theory and extensive hands on (shop) entry-level employment training as well as professional upgrading to persons in the automotive industry. The program provides training for each of the areas tested for National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification, and Bureau of Automotive Repair training for state licenses as well. Certificates of Achievement are offered in Automotive Chassis, Automotive Electrical, Automotive Engine Performance, and Automotive Transmissions. A Certificate of Performance is offered for Advanced Emissions Specialist.
Employment may be found as an entry-level automotive technician in an automotive manufacturer dealership such as Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus, an independent repair garage, or automotive repair franchises.
Some of the many career options in the field of Automotive Technology include:
- Maintenance Technician
- Repair Technician
- Master Technician
- Shop Foreman
- Service Advisor
- Service Manager
- General Manager
- Shop Owner
- Warranty Administrator
- Parts Counter Associate
- Collision Repair Mechanical Technician
- Vehicle Sales
Some managent-related career paths require study beyond the Associate Degree level.
Certificates & Degrees
Advanced Emission Specialist, Automotive Chassis, Automotive Electrical, Automotive Engine Performance, Automotive Technology, Automotive Transmissions
- Advanced Emission Specialist
- Automotive Chassis
- Automotive Eletrical
- Automotive Engine Performance
- Automotive Technology
- Automotive Transmissions
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the Automotive Technology Program will be able to:
- Accurately diagnose and repair light duty automotive systems and components.
- Identify workplace health and safety compliance using regulations published by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Research automotive repair data, instructions, and specifications using printed material as well as computer data base systems.