The documentation of business activities is accomplished through accounting. Without accurate and timely accounting information businesses do not know their financial position, who owes them money, whom they owe money to, or what assets they have available for business processes, etc.
This program addresses the minimum skill levels to enter the technical and exacting world of accountancy. With the basic knowledge of financial and managerial accounting, computerized accounting applications, tax compliance, auditing principles, accounting terminology, and the process and flow of accounting, an individual is ready for entry level positions in service, retail, and manufacturing businesses as well as tax preparation for individuals.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Accountancy program will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic accounting terminology and the process by which transactions are analyzed, evaluated, and communicated into the financial statements.
- Demonstrate the ability to compute, record, and verify quantitative and qualitative information in order to maintain financial records.
- Create accurate, reliable, and relevant accounting documents and reports for decision makers using the information.
- Demonstrate effective use of accounting software applications considered applicable to the current accounting environment.
- Understand and practice high ethical standards with internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare a federal and California individual income tax return in proper form according to current federal and state tax rules and regulations.
Careers in this field
- Accounting is a versatile degree. Students who graduate with a major in accounting may find jobs in many areas of business including: banking, financial planning, sales, production management, client management, product development, procurement, and general management.
- Take classes outside of accounting in a related field, i.e. finance or budget analysis, to broaden your scope of knowledge.
- Develop excellent computer skills. Learn relevant software packages.
Careers relating to Accountancy Majors
- Small business bookkeeping
- Accounts receivable
- Accounts payable
- Inventory control
- Cost accounting
- Public Accounting
- Corporate Accounting