Business entrepreneurs plan, start, and operate new businesses or new ventures within existing companies. They generate new business ideas and innovate to produce new products, services, and business processes.
The program helps students understand the elements of successful high growth ventures, what is involved in launching and marketing a startup, and the entrepreneurial process. The experience includes both theoretical courses to help develop the entrepreneurial mindset and learn the fundamentals of entrepreneurship, as well as an optional lab component where students can practice the theory by participating in an incubation program.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the Entrepreneurship program will be able to:
- Describe the process and multiple ways to become an entrepreneur.
- Evaluate and critique opportunities by assessing the impact and feasibility of ideas by examining critical components of a business model.
- Identify opportunities using ideation and trend-spotting techniques.
Careers in this field
At Miramar College we serve students starting companies in all industries with a focus on helping students to launch scalable startups that use technology to solve problems. Of the high-growth startups launched in the program, the majority are in fields such as education technology, virtual or augmented reality, and coding, as well as startups that provide software, service, or e-commerce for an aging population or a remote workforce. The companies that start in traditional technical education fields include mostly automotive technology, diesel technology, childcare, and yoga businesses.
Some of the many career options in the field of Entrepreneurship include:
- Entrepreneur/Business Founder or Co-Founder
- Independent Business Owner
- Independent Business Manager
- Product Development Specialist
- Business Development Specialist
- Business Consultant
- Business Analyst