Skip to main content
Step 1—Verify your degree completion
- Visit the counseling office and develop an electronic Education Plan for the degree or certificate of achievement you intend to graduate in.
- Verify that you have taken the correct courses to complete your degree.
Step 2—Apply to Graduate
- Graduation deadline
- File your Petition For Graduation by the deadline in order for your name to appear in the commencement program.
- You may file an Online Petition to Graduate. Your petition must match the Education Plan on file.
- Register online to participate in the commencement ceremony
- Date: TBA
- Time: TBA
- Location: San Diego Miramar College - Hourglass Field House (Gymnasium)
- Sign up for the “Remind” push notification. This app will provide you with up-to-date information that you may find useful when planning to walk in the college commencement ceremony.
- Request any needed accommodations – Contact Evaluations 619-388-7371
Step 3 – Get the Gear
- Purchase your cap and gown
- If you are graduating, with a degree, with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher, and you are participating in the commencement ceremony, go to the Evaluations Office to pick up your Honor Cord. You may wear this to compliment your cap and gown on the day of commencement.
Step 4—Review All Information
- Commencement is generally the Friday before Finals from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Students must attend the mandatory commencement orientation. Check-in promptly at 11:00 a.m. in K1-107.
- Spring and Summer graduates will be mailed their diploma approximately 8 weeks after the semester ends
- Winter graduates are permitted to march in the Spring Commencement Ceremonies, along with the Spring and Summer graduates.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Step 5 – Congratulations
Step 6 – Commencement Speaker
- Serving as the Commencement Speaker for your graduating class is a great honor. If you have a 3.25 GPA, good speaking skills and a message of inspiration for your fellow graduating class consider applying to be the Student Commencement Speaker. Fill out the application and submit it to the Evaluations Office K1-207 by the deadline.