Step 1—Verify your Eligibility
- Schedule an appointment with a counselor and develop an electronic Education Plan for the degree or certificate of achievement you intend to graduate in.
- Meet with a counselor to make sure you are and have taken the correct courses to graduate.
Step 2—Apply to Graduate
- File your petition to graduate by the deadline, in order for your name to appear in the commencement program.
- You may file an Online Petition to Graduate at https://studentweb.sdccd.edu/e-grades/. Your petition must match your Education Plan on file.
- Register to participate in the commencement ceremony on line by the deadline in order be allowed to participate and to reserve your seat at commencement.
- Sign up for the “Remind” push notification. This app will provide you with up-to-date information that you may find useful when planning to walk in the college commencement ceremony.
- Request any needed accommodations – Contact Evaluations 619-388-7371
Step 3 – Get the Gear
- Purchase your cap and gown
- If you are graduating, with a degree, with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher, and you are participating in the commencement ceremony, go to the Evaluations Office to pick up your Honor Cord. You may wear this to compliment your cap and gown on the day of commencement.
Step 4—Review All Information
Frequently Asked Questions
- Commencement is generally the Friday before Finals from 1:00 to 3:00. You must attend the mandatory Commencement graduation orientation. Show up on time to check in. Late arrivals may not be allowed to participate in the ceremonies due to the advanced planning necessary for the implementation of the ceremony.
- Spring and Summer graduates will be mailed their diploma approximately 8 weeks after the semester ends
- Winter graduates are permitted to march in the Spring Commencement Ceremonies, along with the Spring and Summer graduates.
Step 5 – Congratulations
Step 6 – Commencement Speaker
- Serving as the Commencement speaker for your graduating class is a great honor. If you have a 3.25 GPA, good speaking skills and a message of inspiration for your fellow graduating class consider applying to be the Student Commencement Speaker. Fill out the application and submit it to Janee Robinson in the Evaluations by the deadline.