How do I register to vote?
To register, you'll need to complete a Voter Registration Form. There are many ways to get the form:
- pick up a form at the Associated Student Government Office or the Office of Student Affairs
- pick up a form in person at any number of public offices such as any Library, Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), or Post Office.
- Visit the San Diego County Reigistrar of Voters webpage
- Call 1-800-345-VOTE to request a form be mailed to you
- Review the California Voter Registration website
- Register to vote online on the the California Online Voter Registration website. The form will be printed and mailed to you for your signature. After you verify that the information is correct, the form must be signed and mailed to your county election official for the registration to be processed.
You must re-register to vote when you have a change in address, change in name, or change your political party affiliation.
Anyone falsifying information on the Voter Registration Application Form can be fined or imprisoned, or deported or refused entry into the United States.
Who is eligible to vote?
In order to vote in California, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be a resident of California
- Not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction
- Be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election
(A person may register to vote at age 17 if he or she will be 18 on or before the next election.)
- Not have been judged by a court to be mentally incompetent
Legal residents of California who are not U.S. citizens, and illegal California residents are not eligible to register or vote. Convicted felons currently serving a prison term or on parole are not eligible to register or vote.
Your identity must be verified before your application is complete. Preferred identification is your Social Security number, California driver's license, or State ID card. If you do not have any of these forms of identification, you may still apply using an alternate form of identification.
What is the deadline for registering to vote?
The voter registration deadline is always 15 days before an election. However, please be advised that voters who register after the 29th day before an election may not receive a sample ballot due to the short turn around time for mailing. However voters should receive notice of the location of their polling place in the mail.
Your registration form must be signed, dated and postmarked by the registration deadline.
If you have questions about the registration deadline, contact the San Diego Registrar of Voters