This June we celebrate Pride Month to honor, elevate, and affirm our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual, and additional communities (LGBTQIA+). Pride Month originated from the Stonewall Riots of 1969, which marked a pivotal moment in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights. It stands as a reminder of the fight for LGBTQ+ rights and the ongoing work that still needs to be done to ensure equality and respect for all individuals, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. By celebrating Pride Month, we celebrate love, diversity, and the fundamental human rights that every person deserves. It is a time for empowerment, education, and advocacy, encouraging a more inclusive society.
The SDCCD Board of Trustees unanimously adopted a resolution declaring the month of June 2023 to be a districtwide celebration of LGBTQIA+ Pride. We encourage everyone to read the Board Resolution. As shared by Acting Chancellor Greg Smith,
To all the students, employees, and community members served by the San Diego Community College District, San Diego City College, San Diego Mesa College, San Diego Miramar College, and the San Diego College of Continuing Education who identify with or serve as allies to the LGBTIA+ community:
We do not merely accept you, we celebrate your authenticity. We do not merely welcome your participation, we encourage your leadership. We do not merely seek to include you, we offer you belonging. We do not merely offer safe spaces, we seek to empower you.
Join us in celebrating PRIDE Month!
Download the PRIDE Month Zoom Background
California LGBTQ Foundation Scholarship
The California Legislative LGBTQ Caucus in partnership with the California LGBTQ Foundation are providing to LGBTQIA+ students in California:
- Twelve scholarships of $5,000 PLUS
- One scholarship of $10,000
The California LGBTQ Foundation Scholarship was established to support LGBTQ+ Californians help them achieve their dreams through higher education. More information such as eligibility requirements can be found below:
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Eligible students must identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Queer (LGBTQ+)
- Current California resident
- Applicants must be enrolled full time in an accredited California college for the 2023-2024 academic year
Applicants must submit the following items:
- Completed application.
- Copy of acceptance letter/enrollment verification letter
- 2 letters of recommendation
Additionally, applicants must submit 2 of the 3 following options:
- 1–2 page paper explaining what the future of the LGBTQ+ community looks like to you.
- Short video (2-5 min.) of you explaining what the future of the LGBTQ+ community looks like to you.
- A short video (2-5 min.) discussing a project you have worked on or would like to work on that moves us closer to the future of the LGBTQ+ community you have envisioned.
The application process has begun! All applications must be submitted online by 11:59 pm on June 30, 2023.
Don’t wait, apply now! Any questions, please contact the California LGBTQ Foundation: https://calgbtfoundation.org/contact-us