About the Program
The Honors Program at Miramar College offers highly motivated students an enriched learning experience. We offer both Honors core classes and individual Honors contracts for students in non-honors sections.
Miramar College students are NOT required to fill out the online Honors registry found on the district website. For Miramar Honors Program enrollment assistance, please contact the Honors Coordinators.
If you are interested in Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society, please contact the adviser, Professor Jay at email@example.com.
To enroll in honors courses: To get started in the program, first-time college students who meet the eligibility recommendations should register for their honors courses as they would register for any other course. Students with previous college-level work and a 3.25 GPA can also register for their honors courses through the regular registration procedures. Not quite qualified? Contact the Honors Coordinator, Professor Carmen Jay about conditional acceptance into the program.
To sign up for an honors contract in a non-honors section: The Honors Program has a very special component—the HONORS CONTRACT (see "Important Documents" list in the right sidebar). This contract is a written agreement between the student and the instructor in a non-honors (regular) class section. Upon completion of the course, the student's transcript will reflect the honors designation in the course title. Contracts provide great flexibility in our program for both the student and the instructor. The Honors Coordinator is available to assist students throughout the contract process.
Honors: Is It For You?
The Benefits of Honors:
- Guaranteed priority admission consideration to a number of prestigious universities, including UCLA, UC Riverside, UC Irvine, SDSU, and others
- Honors designation on your transcript
- Student Centered Learning Environment
- Designated Honors Counselor
- Leadership development opportunities
- Consideration for scholarships
- Use of resources from beyond the campus itself, such as university libraries
- Many courses taught from a global perspective
- Invitation Only Conferences and Receptions
- Scholarship Money
- Study a subject in your major or another subject you love in greater depth
- Get career experience through internships or volunteer work
- Build a support network in a field you want to enter
About The Program
The Honors General Education Core at Miramar College offers both honors courses and honors contracts, written agreements between the student and the instructor in a regular (non-honors) section. Both honors courses and honors contracts receive the same "honors" designation on the student transcript.
- Fall Core Classes:
- English 101
- English 249
- Spanish 101
- Spring Core Classes:
- English 205
- Psychology 101
- Sociology 101
- Spanish 201
For the first-time college student, ONE of the following is recommended:
- High School GPA of 3.5
- High School GPA of 3.0 with two letters of recommendation from current teachers
- SAT score of 1650
- ACT score of 25
- Qualifying placement test scores
- A successful interview with the honors coordinator and a determination to succeed.
For students with previous college-level work, we recommend an overall GPA of 3.25 with at least 12 units completed.
See "Important Documents" sidebar for scholarship application and directions.
Procedure and FAQs for Faculty Honors Program
Honors Contract Process and Forms
- What is an Honors contract?
- Honors contracts are written agreements between the you and the student in a non-honors section.