Assessment is a tool used to assist college students in selecting courses best suited to their abilities and educational goals. Specifically, assessments help students identify their skill levels in English, mathematics, and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages).
The Assessment Office offers Accuplacer testing Monday - Thursday from 8:30a.m. - 5:00p.m. and Friday's from 8:30a.m. - 12:00p.m. on a walk-in basis. ESOL testing is offered by appointment; please refer to the monthly schedule for available test times.
Instructional proctoring & accuplacer testing will be held June 10th and June 24th from 8:00a.m. - 10:00a.m.
The Assessment office will be closed May 29th.
New students must complete the Online Orientation and bring the certificate of completion on the day of your test. Please visit this link to access:
Who should take an Assessment test?
Students who plan to:
- Take English or math courses
- Take a course that has an English or math prerequisite
- Obtain an associate degree
- Transfer to a four-year college or university
Important Information For Students:
The assessment tests should be taken very seriously. It is strongly encouraged that students take the time to prepare for the assessment tests as it can have a significant impact on score placement when a student is best prepared and takes the assessments seriously. Doing poorly on the assessment test(s) can add additional classes and cost to your college plan. Please keep in mind, if your goal is to place into college level math, you will want to study for the Elementary Algebra assessment. The English assessment has two sections: Sentence Skills and Reading / Comprehension. Please review the sample test questions and study resources available under "Important Documents."
- Accuplacer study app. Please refer to link:
- Khanh Academy is free study resource available to students. Khanh Academy provides video tutorials on specific concepts for math and English. Please see link: https://www.khanacademy.org/
Assessment-Placement Alternative Measures
The San Diego Community College District accepts select standardized tests as an alternative measure for assessment skill levels. Official copies of SAT, ACT, EAP, CAASPP, EPT and ELM scores must be submitted to District Student Services to determine readiness for English 101 or 105 and for courses with a Math 096 prerequisite. All tests must have been completed within the past 2-years. Test scores must be officially submitted to the San Diego Community College District. Please allow approximately four weeks for the District to receive your test scores.
|Test||Minimum Score Required|
4 -- Standard Exceeded
550 (Critical Reading)
"Ready for CSU College-Level English/Math Course"
- San Diego Community College District
- Attn. Student Services
- 3375 Camino del Rio South
- San Diego, CA 92108-3883
Taking the Assessment Test
- Assessment tests are available on a walk-in basis; no appointment is necessary. Assessment testing is offered Monday - Thursday from 8:30a.m. - 4:00p.m.; ESOL testing is offered by appointment. The Assessment schedule is accessible online (download at right-see Important Documents) or in the Assessment Office, K2-108.
- A Government Issued picture ID or Student ID, and your San Diego Community College Student Identification Number (CSID) are required at the time of your assessment. Pictures of ID's or copies are not acceptable forms of Identification.
- Tests are not timed. You should allow at least two hours for assessment testing. Materials are not allowed while testing, i.e., calculators, cell phones, dictionaries, electronic devices, etc. Scratch paper will be provided by your test proctor. Please be sure to get plenty of rest prior to your assessment test(s), and be sure to eat a healthy meal before testing.
- Upon completion of your test(s) you will be given a copy of your placement scores. Your scores will be posted within one business day to your student records. You may also view your placement levels through your Reg-e
- Counseling will interpret your results, and utilize your assessment results to help you develop a semester plan.
ESOL - English for Speakers of Other Languages
- ESOL assessment is offered by appointment.
- ESOl is a timed 45-minute assessment.
- Test samples may be found under "Important Documents."
- Beginning level students (ESOL 19) are not required to take the ESOl test.
- It is recommended to schedule your test appointment at least a week in advance.
- The Assessment schedule for ESOL testing is accessible online (please refer to Important Documents). You may schedule your appointment in person or by phone at the Assessment Office (619) 388-7379 or K2-108.
- Testing accommodations are available to students with disabilities. For assistance, please contact the Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) at (619) 388-7312.plemented from April 2017 - Fall 2017 for any Miramar College faculty that wish to use this service.
Instructional Proctoring Services
The Assessment Center is now piloting a program to offer campus-wide proctoring services for institutional testing needs and make-up exams, with a focus on proctoring online courses. The pilot program will be implemented from April 2017 - Fall 2017 for any Miramar College faculty that wish to use this service.
Please keep in mind this service is not intended to replace normal class testing but instead assist in proctoring of online classes as well as be a second option for cases with special circumstances (e.g., student cannot attend normal class time hours, illness, etc).
We ask instructors to complete and submit our Assessment Proctoring Initiation Form at least 48-hours prior to the test date / window to initiate the process. Once the student is notified by the instructor, they will be required to schedule an appointment anytime Monday - Thursday between 8:30a.m. - 6:00p.m. Please keep in mind that students must be mindful to allow enough time to complete their test, as the center closes at 7:00p.m. In addition, the Assessment Center will be open two Saturdays a month from 8:00a.m. - 1:00p.m. for testing. Check our monthly schedule for Saturday availability.